February 15, 2024
weLink is a monthly email newsletter that helps in connecting congregations of Indiana Michigan Mennonite Conference.
Register for the Spring Summits Today!
Calling all congregational delegates (and anyone else who would like to join us): it’s time to register for Spring Summits 2024. We are looking forward to our mid-year gathering for delegate discernment. Our theme for 2023-2024 comes from Isaiah 43:19, “Look! I’m doing a new thing; now it sprouts up; don’t you recognize it? I’m making a way in the desert, paths in the wilderness.” With that in mind, we will have conversations on the new things God is doing in and through conference.
Both the in-person and virtual gatherings will involve discernment together around these new things. As usual, the Spending Plan for our next fiscal year will be presented for delegate reflection and comment. We will also be discerning a proposal for adding Youth and Young Adult Delegates. This will culminate in an official vote at a later date to adopt the proposal and invite youth and young adult delegates to summer delegate sessions.
You can learn more and register here.
Save the Date for Summer Fest 2024
We are looking forward to a new kind of annual gathering this summer, which also has a new name. We will gather in Indianapolis at Mara Christian Church of America, Indiana on June 7-8 for Summer Fest 2024. Mark your calendars and plan to attend this celebratory and worshipful weekend!
Plan Ahead for Conference Sunday
We want to continue to celebrate the new things that God is doing in, with, and through us following Summer Fest (formerly Annual Sessions). As a way to support those who will be present at Summer Fest and to include those who are not able to attend, we will again be providing worship resources and a pre-recorded sermon for use on June 9 (or whenever suits your congregation best). It should become available in late-April or early-May. Keep your eyes open for it in your inbox or on our the Summer Fest webpage!
- The long-time ministry of Darrel Hostetler, who passed away January 31 at the age of 91. Darrel had served North Goshen as an assistant pastor; he also gave his life to music ministry, teaching at Iowa Mennonite and Bethany Christian Schools and leading area choral groups. His wife Marian served as the first female moderator of IMMC; his daughter Brenda also served as moderator of IMMC and on the pastoral team at Benton for 27 years. Sharon attended Darrel’s memorial service at North Goshen on February 4.
- The work of IMMC administrative coordinator Clayton Gladish. Clayton embodies the vision of IMMC, acting with Grace, Love, and Peace as he supports staff and the wider IMMC community in whatever ways he can. He is our event planner, communications coordinator, administrative support specialist, and more. We rely on his proficiency in coordinating countless logistics, expertise in technology and print media, and willing and competent responses to countless questions that come his way. We are beyond grateful for Clayton and his ministry with us at IMMC!
- Sharon joined Piedra Viva Mennonite Church on January 28 to honor the ministry of Naun Cerrato and commission Rolando Sosa to continue ministry there, now as solo pastor. Naun, the founding pastor at Piedra Viva, concluded his ministry on January 31.
- Joanne attended Hope for the Future in Dallas February 8-11. HFTF is a gathering of BIPOC in MCUSA for a time of celebration, reflecting, connecting, and resourcing.
- Joanne and Sharon join monthly zoom meetings to network with other MC USA conference ministers. Sharon also joins a monthly zoom conversation with MC USA conference ministers who are walking with emerging congregations.
Credentialing and Leadership Development
- Volunteer search guides recently agreed to walk with newly launched pastoral search processes. John Kaufman will serve as guide for North Goshen and Becky Horst will serve with Benton. Search guides Suella Gerber and Richard Kauffman will journey with the pastoral search at First, Indianapolis; they also serve as interim pastors at First Mennonite.
- Sharon met with the leadership team of Kalamazoo Mennonite Fellowship on January 31 to explore next steps in their upcoming transition with pastor Grant Miller ending ministry there in May.
- Joanne participated in the Journey Weekend Learning Event on AMBS’s campus January 26-28. Currently 2 IMMC members are participating in the program.
You may notice that these reports have changed in appearance but we assure you that the information is the same. We’ve simply updated for better readability and clarity.
From Amigo Centre
Summer camp registration is open! Get more information on dates and registration at www.amigocentre.org/amigo-summer-camps
Want to work at Amigo for the summer? We are still looking for counselors, kitchen staff, lifeguards, and more! Contact Colton Eby at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Upcoming Adult and Intergenerational Programs:
- March 1-3: Scrapbooking, Quilting, and Crafting Retreat #1
- April 5-7: Men’s Retreat – Creating Stories of Hope: Finding Healing in the Male Journey
- April 12-14: Scrapbooking, Quilting, and Crafting Retreat #2
- May 3-5: Women and Girls’ Retreat – God brings Peace in the Storm and Beauty from Ashes
To register for any of these programs, visit amigocentre.campbrainregistration.com
Five Things Friday Roundup
This month, Joanne focuses her Five Things Friday Roundup on important pieces connected to Black History Month. Read it here: Five Things Friday Roundup: Black History Month.
Mennonite Action Prayers
Prayers continue for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza, for the release of all hostages, for the end of Israeli occupation in Palestinian areas, and for peace throughout the world. For one hour on Tuesday, February 20, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. a group will gather in the College Mennonite Church Gathering Rooms (141 and 142) on the Goshen College Campus for silence, spoken prayers, song, and scripture. This is a “Mennonite Action” local event open to the congregation, the college campus, and the community. Come and stay for the hour or come and go for shorter periods of time.
Times for Mennonite Action prayers are also scheduled on March 12 and April 2.