July 10, 2019
This has been a unique month since the June weLink. Annual Sessions took place at Amigo Centre on June 13-15, hosted by Missional Leadership Team. Be sure to check out recordings on the website: https://im.mennonite.net/events/annual-sessions/
At Annual Sessions, we previewed a new conference video highlighting some of the benefits available through our community of congregations. You can find the video on the IMMC homepage at im.mennonite.net.
Tanzania task group:
We are still looking for those who are interested in joining the Tanzania task group to help
At Annual Sessions on June 14 Bess Fitzgerald and Dan Miller shared a bit about what draws them to consider the invitation to relationship we have received from Bishop Kateti of Shirati Diocese in the Tanzanian Mennonite Church.
We are wondering who might join this group to lead the discernment process for IMMC. Are you, or might someone in your congregation be interested? We would like to hear from you. Please contact Bess Fitzgerald email@example.com by July 17 (or 24).
Staff celebrated a successful archiving day. Around the end of each fiscal/program year, staff take time to file documents/records of the previous year, and organize for the coming year. Jason Kauffman, from the Mennonite Church USA archives came to remind staff of retention schedules for various documents such as financial, personnel, conference teams’ minutes. Scheduling an archiving time could be a good practice for congregations as well. Talk with staff for their reflections.
IMMC was well represented at MennoCon19 in Kansas City. In addition to the congregational delegates, IMMC sent Wes Beck (Step Up), Randy Detweiler, Dan Miller, Addie Leaman, Shin Ye Tan, Bob Yoder and Rachel Yoder. Although Anna Board wasn’t a delegate, this was a great introduction to the larger church, and it was great to have her there. Feel free to check in with any of these people about their experience. Each delegate will write short reflections on their time, and they will meet later this month to debrief the experience, and reflect on connections with IMMC priorities. Information about MennoCon19 is available at http://mennoniteusa.org/kcsauce/.
- July 6-7 – With – On the way home from MennoCon19 Dan circled around to Charlotte, NC to be with the four congregations of Mara Christian Church of America (MCCA) for their fourth biennial pakhypi (assembly, pronounced pah KAY pee). Dan gave a “short speech” on Sunday morning. A dozen guests came from Mara Christian Church of Victoria in Australia, and three people from Myanmar.
- July 21 – Dan will preach at Cedar Grove, Manistique, MI. There may be some yet-to-be-scheduled visits along the way.
- July 26-27 – Missional Leadership Team (MLT) meets for their Annual planning retreat. Pray for them as they plan for the next 12-24 months. This will be their first meeting without Wilma Cender, who died last month.
- July 28 – Dan will preach at North Main in Nappanee for their final public worship service.
- August 12 – Dan Miller and Bob Yoder meet with conference ministers and moderators of other mid-states conferences (Illinois, Ohio and Central District)
Credentialing, Transitions and Leadership Development
- June 4 – Sharon Yoder joined the quarterly meeting of transitional and interim pastors at IN-MI Conference office.
- July 12 – Sharon will travel to Saginaw, MI to lead a credential interview with pastoral candidate Rex Jones at Ninth Street Community Church.
- July 14 – Sharon will attend Walnut Hill, Goshen to lead an installation service for Jane Miller as interim pastor to join with Ben Bouwman on their ministry team.
- July 14 – Dan will attend First Mennonite, Indianapolis, to preach and lead an installation service for Gary Martin as transitional pastor.
- There are currently 13 congregations in various stages of transition.
- Sharon Yoder is working with 4 active pastoral searches.
- In June, Sharon connected with 13 congregations and 14 potential applicants.